Sunday 28 April 2013

Number 1 - Ride in an Ambulance

Disclaimer: Just to make this clear I obviously never intended a "Ride in an Ambulance" to be part of my 30 before 30, so I have not been wasting the emergency services valuable time.

So lets begin...

On the 11th April 2013, yes my birthday, MY BLOODY BIRTHDAY, I suffered an injury whilst playing soccer, which resulted in this:


Yes, this is me in an ambulance, on my way to a medical centre to have my knee looked at. The reason I don't look in any pain is due to the incredibly fantastic mind spinning drugs that I was given shortly before I took this picture!

So here's what I learnt about riding in an ambulance:

  1. 45 minutes, facing the wrong direction, whilst strapped into a stretcher does tend to make you feel a bit queasy.
  2. The suspension in those things isn't great, you feel every bump, crack and stone in the road.
  3. If your stretcher is not inserted into the ambulance properly, it will not have been locked into position. This means that when the driver accelerates or brakes, the stretcher tends to roll around.
  4. If number 3 occurs, it is important to tell the driver immediately, as 45 minutes of slamming into the rear doors with your injured leg is not a wise idea!
  5. Pain killers are awesome.
So, I'd give the whole experience about a 1 of of 10, mainly because I would have much rather not incurred the injury resulting in said ambulance ride. 

Days to go: 348
Things completed: 3

For those that are wondering, I have suffered a fully ruptured Anterior Cruciate Ligament and a torn Medial Collateral Ligament, which looks something like this:


Although if you understand that image you are cleverer than I! But it basically means I'm left with a leg brace Al La Forrest Gump:


The result - 6 weeks of physio then an operation, followed by 6 months recovery period. But do not fear, I only have 27 more experiences to do and plenty of time to do them!

Next up, the Rubik's Cube



No comments:

Post a Comment